Fast and Slow

Fast and Slow
My dual 2.0GHz PowerMac G5 is allmost all the time in reduced performance mode. For most tasks 1.3GHz is more than enough, I can as well play music, type text or use instant messaging on my 250MHz PowerBook G3 Kanga, so why torture power supply of my G5 with more power drain? On the other hand, when processing RAW images from my camera or when encoding video in iMove the difference between 1.3 and 2.0 is quite significant. Every time I want to change performance settings I have to run System settings and then make another couple of clicks to do it.

In Linux have two buttons in Xfce panel, which are connected to bash scripts for CPU clock setting, so every clock change is a one-click matter. I wanted something similar for OS X and after a few minutes of searching I have found a little app called Fast and Slow. It sits in menu and lets you choose how system performance should be set on battery (just on portables) or on power supply. Fast and Slow should work on iBook/PowerBook G4 and iMac/PowerMac G5 and for me it really works perfectly.

As it has been pointed out in comments, link on original website doesn't work anymore. You can download copy archived on archive.org or if you are Gopher compatible, use my own software archive.
Written by Logout | Monday, July 22, 2013 | Permanent link | Comments: 3