Digital RAWpsody

One of things I do on my PowerMac G5 is photo management and editing. I use iLife 09 and I am happy with it. Just recently I bought converter for using old soviet lens with my Sony Alpha A450. I decided to start using RAW photo format, because these old lens are very good and I don't like good image being distorted by some JPEG artifacts.
Even though there are better tools for RAW processing than iPhoto, I wanted to have all my photos in single place. To my disappointment, I discovered that RAW fornat from my camera is in the first version of Digital Camera Raw Compatibility Update which is Intel only.

Well, I downloaded the update and looked inside installation package. To my surprise, the only binary file was an Universal Binary, which means that installer script is set to demand an Intel CPU, but other parts should work on PowerPC.
Vichy:MacOS logout$ file RawCamera 
RawCamera: Mach-O universal binary with 3 architectures
RawCamera (for architecture i386): Mach-O dynamically linked shared library i386
RawCamera (for architecture x86_64): Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library x86_64
RawCamera (for architecture ppc): Mach-O dynamically linked shared library ppc
Update package contains following two pseudo-files (click on pkg file with ctrl or with right mouse button and select Show Package Contents):
  • CoreTypes.bundle
  • RawCamera.bundle
To install update manualy, just copy RawCamera.bundle to folder /System/Library/CoreServices. However with CoreTypes.bundle is the situation a bit more complicated. Open it with Show Package Contents from the context menu and copy just the file RawCameraTypes.bundle into content of CoreTypes.bundle on your HDD. If you overwrite the whole CoreTypes.bundle your Mac OS X won't be able to open any file, folder or drive anymore and you have to reinstall the whole thing, so be careful.

After this you simply restart your machine and after OS X comes up, you will be able to read and open RAW files from your camea in QuickLook, Preview, iPhoto etc. This procedure can be applied to Digital Camera Raw Compatibility Update up to version 3.9, which "requires" OS X Snow Leopard or Lion.
Maybe there is the last Apple engineer, who still compiles some stuff as Universal Binary, because he has good old PowerMac at home. Who knows? Let's hope, he will do this for a few more years.
Written by Logout | Friday, November 09, 2012 | Permanent link | Comments: 0